Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Cini-Sausage Breakfast Bundles




For Christmas Day I made good use of a couple of Christmas tree shaped baking pans I picked up at a thrift store.  The first was by making this breakfast dish.  It is the other recipe I submitted for the Pillsbury Bake-Off last year, which I called 'Cini-Sausage Breakfast Bundles with Apple Dunking Sauce'.

As I mentioned before, one of the things that I found trying (for me and my creative food experimenting ways) was all the exact timing and micro precise ingredient measurements when I submitted my entry.  While I did submit the required OCD steps to the contest, I am not going to do it here.  It's not hard and I don't see the point of making it complicated.  It could be turned into a convoluted advance math problem by precisely calculating out how to have the exact measured dough bits for the exact number of cut pieces of links but I think we all have more important things to do...like hot gluing something to something.   Also some packages of links have more or less than others which can add to the issue.  So here is the simple version of my recipe:

Cini-Sausage Breakfast Bundles
Ingredients:
Precooked turkey sausage links
a tube of cinnamon rolls
 applesauce
Set oven to preheat for the temperature indicted on the rolls.  Cut links into thirds.  Unroll cinnamon rolls one at a time and give them a gentle stretch for extra length.  Wrap small amounts of cinnamon roll around each piece of cut sausage.  Repeat til all materials are used up.  Place bundles in a greased pan close to each other.  Bake.  Drizzle top of bundles with the included icing. Serve with applesauce for dunking.

I like to make my own applesauce but that would have made my recipe submission too many ingredients and steps for moderns.  Also, I don't use Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls, I use the store brand because guess what!!!  The Pillsbury ones aren't rolls, even though they say they are on the package...they are BUNS.  The dough does not unroll which is the primary characteristic of a ROLL.  Duh.  I use generic "Great Value" cinnamon rolls because they know that a roll, unrolls.


I usually make these up the night before, place pan in the fridge, and then just pop them in the oven in the morning.
I like to use different shaped pans also.  The first time I made them I used a round cake pan and arranged them like a wreath, placing the bowl of apple sauce in the middle.  At Halloween I used the skull pan, a heart pan for Valentine's Day, or serve them on skewers for National Something on a Stick Day (every March 28)!

No comments: