Monday, December 24, 2018

Merry Christmas from Ground Zero!


This year for Christmas I went with an Atomic Town-Fallout Shelter theme.
The idea came to me after acquiring a big box of putz houses at an estate sale last year.  They had been stored in a hot humid attic for decades and were in bad shape...atomic blasted looking to me.
I set them up as a crack house hood last year but all the while I really had plans for this.


I displayed a few of the most blasted dwellings and pieces under the tree, complete with fire crackling looking lights and a big mushroom cloud in the center.  The box of houses also came with some crumbling bottle brush trees which would look horrible if I was going for a high rent district, but they completely work for being radiation infused!

For our main Christmas tree I went with aluminum which works best for the space age theme.
Here are a few of the handmade ornaments I put together: 
Mushroom clouds
(made from scraps of cardboard for the base and stem, white plastic bag and cotton for the cloud, and hot glue holds it all together.)

Canned foods,
such as this Fallout Safety pack of powdered skim milk.

A-bombs
Made from Easter eggs, spray paint, paper, and hot glue.


Blasted and singed glass ornaments.
This one doesn't look very smokey, but I spritzed all of the ball ornaments with black spray paint.

Various prints of civil defense propaganda.

Another view


Bert the Turtle as the angel on the top of the tree! 
I should have made him some wings and a crown but time had run out.

The whole tree and village.

I also made a few blasted mutant mannequins (dollar tree Blarbies) similar to what they did during atomic testing in the 1950s but they were just too big to put on the tree and really too big to place around the town (Attack of the 50 feet women!) So I came up with placing them together in a tall glass vase with a few aluminum tree branches as a table center piece.  
 Don't forget to duck and cover this Christmas!


No comments: