Monday, November 18, 2019

Thanksgiving Decor: Vintage style



Household Magazine October 1957

I don't know what has come over me.  I have been overly obsessed and ecstatic about fall/Thanksgiving decor.  I have done some extremely mild Thanksgiving decorating (see:Turkey Day with the Clampetts ) a few years back.  But really all the Thanksgiving decorations I had could fit in my back pocket, which consisted of a plastic canvas cross stitch doohickey my grandma made me featuring a turkey holding a sign reading "Eat more Veggies!".
I was really okay with this minimalism, because why add more to my ToDo list when it's already overburdened this time of year?
I don't know! But it's happening!
So one of the interesting things for me is that I don't "get" Fall decor.  I obviously have seen that junk Joann, Michaels, and Hobby Lobby put out for sale every year.  Rustic looking boards that say "Gather" in cursive writing with a generic pumpkin graphic on them.  There is also an array of dorky looking turkeys and scarecrows.  Most of it reminds me of barn wedding trends.  This could be why I don't "do" fall decor. I have become such a nerd about it that I decided to make a list of classic fall themes so I could wrap my mind around it and not have the modern pollution taint it up.
I am really excited to share the next several posts of my research and hope it helps others who want to decorate vintage for thanksgiving but can't come up with anything more that setting out a couple of those cutie Gurley Pilgrim candles.

Let's start with getting the feel of autumn.  Vintage decor that mirrors the colors and homeyness of Thanksgiving.  It's got to be none other than Mid Century Early American!

Better Homes and Gardens Decorating Ideas Book 1960

"Early American, or Colonial, began with the Pilgrims (!), continued with other early settlers such as Pennsylvania Dutch.  Because ship space was at a  premium, the average man could bring very little in the way of furnishings or tools with him.  Early American designs were mostly handmade from native woods-rough copies of styles prevalent at home.  Their casual charm, nostalgic reference to our beginnings, make them most popular today.  When you shop, consider these style points:

1.  Early lamps burned oil.  Today's adaptions take their shape from these lamps or jars of the period.  Shades are often of homespun type fabrics.
2.  Shutters were common, sometimes dressed up with short curtains of crudely spun material, or of stylized geometric prints, looking like woodcuts.
3.  Dyes were largely vegetable, colors usually rich brown, strong red, muted green, butternut yellow.
4.  every scrap of fabric was saved and reworked.  Patchwork prints available now are suitable.
5.  Wall coverings were originally fabric rather than paper, so typical designs are borrowed from old trunk linings or pillow tickings, and are stylized.
6.  Pressed glass was available, often decorated with fruits and flowers.  Amethyst, cranberry, amber colors were prized.  Today's copies even preserve the seams of the original molds.
7.  Wall shelves ofen took the place of closets or more formal storage pieces.  Today they hold copies of pewter porringers and pitchers, and stainless steel adaptions of early hollow ware.
8.  Rag rugs, or adaptations are authentic.
9.  Real or reproduced, old tools, such as cranberry picker or dough tray are interesting accompaniments."
from Better Homes and Gardens Decorating Ideas Book 1960  

Household Magazine October 1957

This style began with the pilgrims!  I was right on!
You just toss a roasted turkey into this scene and before you know it you'll be sleeping off your tryptophan ass in that colonial recliner!

I collected up several examples from my own books, magazines, and the nets for more Early American immersion!
Break open a can of cranberry sauce and join us!


Notice the turned spindle legs of the furniture and the fabric colors and print.

Better Homes and Gardens Decorating Ideas Book 1960

Early American in a nut shell!
Notice the light fixtures and the copper metal pots.  Lots of warm undertones.


Better Homes and Gardens Decorating Book Binder 1961

There is a framed print of a turkey over the bed!!!  An Early American/ Thanksgiving bedroom!

Have you guys noticed something familiar about the colors and styling of Mid century Early American decor??

It's the style of the 1970s!!!  It just got a bit more garish. 
See samples below:

There's the rag rug, turned wood furniture,  pewter-looking plates, and even a painting of the "Mayflower" on the wall!

image source

The colors of the 70s are the signature fall shades of Thanksgiving: cranberry, harvest gold, avocado, brown...

So while it may be "fun" to completely redecorate the house for Thanksgiving (You know the thrifts are clogged with those trailer park granny 70s couches) it would be a bit much.  However you can bring aspects of the aura into your home by taking clues from this decor style.
Start by looking around your home for any furniture/accessories you happen to have that fits the bill and showcase them.  Keep an eye out at thrifts for objects that mirror these styles (and that you like!) that you can easily store afterward or work into your current decorating scheme.
One item I already had was this 70s afghan I used as a tablecloth for Mr. Husband's Sanford and Son birthday party.  I placed it on the back of my couch to set the color mood in the room.
Now the thing about all of these decorating styles shown here is they really aren't my style.  So why did I waste my time (and yours) on all this?  To get an understanding and develop an ability to notice this style more.  I might not want a fake oil burning lamp to use as a centerpiece but I would be down with sewing up some place mats with an Early American print on them, if I came across the fabric.

Next up... Thanksgiving Vintage Accessories

Study Guide:
{For more Thanksgiving Vintage decor see my Pinterest board:Gobble, Gobble: Vintage Decor}

2 comments:

aldo ross said...

3rd photo... I like the asymmetry of the pictures above the fireplace mantel. Also, it that coffee table shaped like a piano?

my house is cuter than yours said...

aldo, I don't think it's suppose to be shaped like a piano, but it does look similar. I bet it's shaped like some kind of pioneer days doo dad that we don't get, like a corn shucking stand or turkey feather plucker table!

~mary~