Monday, November 25, 2019

Turkey Darling





This was my most favorite Thanksgiving craft I made this year!
A darling little dumpling of a turkey!



I based him after a set of vintage spun cotton headed turkey cuties I saw on ebay (seen below).  They were more than I wanted to pay (30 bucks) and I figured I could make them myself.




I have been collecting up satin Christmas ornaments through the year for some future crafting so I already had the body bits.  The tail feathers were going to be the problem.  The original turkey's tails were made from crepe paper but large sheets of the paper are not available.  Well, maybe you can buy it online but it's going to be more than I would want to pay for it, so therefore it's "not available" to me.  I tried to use party streamers but they were too small.  I knew what would be perfect, even more than the original idea of crepe paper, but it hasn't been made (as far as I know) since the 1990s.  That twisted paper coil rope stuff:



And oh my gosh!  I happened to hit a stash of it at an estate sale for 3 bucks total!

And when you thought that little turkey dumpling couldn't get any cuter....



I made him a pilgrim hat!