Thursday, November 21, 2019

Pom Pom Indian Corn


Here's a fun retro kind of craft...and perfect for some cheap kitschy Thanksgiving decor!
Pom Pom Indian Corn!

 I have come across several photos where other people have made these but never any instructions.  So I put together a short and brief How-To. These instructions are to make the smaller sets flanking the larger corn husk.  To make the larger one in the center use a whole paper lunch bag and make your pom poms a bit bigger.

Supplies: 

brown small lunch bags
raffia (mine was from a hula skirt from dollar tree)
jute twine
hot glue
scissors
yarn in fall colors (side note: found at walsmart: Caron Simply Soft yarn, Sunset Autumn color, which was fantastic because it has all the right colors dyed through out the yarn, you could also use single colors of yellow, brown, rust and mix together)


Start by making yourself a bunch of pom poms and by a bunch I mean 6. I didn't photo this step because I figured everyone knew how to make pom poms.  I am sure someone else more clever than I has a video on how to but here is the jest.  I make mine by cutting out a small square of cardboard, wrapping a bunch of yarn around it, slipping it off the cardboard, and then tying it off with a small length of yarn.  Next snip all the loops open and trim and fluff up the pom pom.  Now back to the main project:

To make the husks start by cutting a brown paper lunch bag in half:



Next open up the bag, crumbled it, flatten it and open it again, as shown on right:



Tie off the top with jute twine, and start shaping the edges and rounding it out:


Roll the cut edges inward some and pinch bottom to a point.  Hot glue where necessary.


Hot glue your pom poms inside husk:


 Add raffia:



To finish off, add streamers of raffia in varying lengths and top with a bow to hide any bulkiness, Couple your corns together for a nice shaggy corn swag!:








2 comments:

Jennilee said...

Oh my gosh, Mary! This is so cute!!! I will be making this next year for sure!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Thanks Jenn! Sorry for the late comment, it got away from me!


~mary~