Thursday, November 28, 2019

Thanksgiving Decor Reveal!





Join me for a Grand Thanksgiving Home Tour!
I am super stoked with how it all came together.  As you have seen in the previous posts I have been really studying on what Thanksgiving decor is to me and then how I can reflect it in my own home. 

I wanted the decor to be simple to place, not overly fussy, easy and small to pack up, and make use of items I already had for the most part.
I'll break down each image in those terms and where I found stuff.

🦃In the Living Room🦃

The above image is the record cabinet in the living room.  The tablecloth I bought new several years ago from of all places, walsmart!  I am still a bit stunned they had such a beautiful MCM styled fabric tablecloth of this kind, it's more Target-esque to me.  Everything else (other than the turkey darling and the fall foliage) I already had and bought over the years from thrift stores/ flea market.   The 'Gourmet' November 1947 magazine has a rare find at the flea market last year for 3 bucks. The cover is fantastic but the inside is drab and dull.



In the living room on top of a display cabinet is this simple vignette. Everything seen here was from thrift stores or mother nature.  I happened to find the vintage wall plaques this year mixed in with the fall decor at the thrift store!  


I love me some precious squirrels!  In my mind they work as fall decor and since I have a small collection I placed them out for display.



This is the main wall right above the green shelf in the living room.
Mr. Husband Sir got me these precious melted popcorn Pilgrims last year for Christmas.  I made the hanging pom pom corn stalks. 


 I did buy this vintage tissue paper turkey with cornstalks on ebay for this season, but only paid 11 bucks for them.


Another tissue paper turkey (ebay 7 bucks).  The tissue paper turkeys are my highlight focal details and I knew I was wasn't going to find any at thrift stores.


For one set of the shelves on the green rack in the living room I printed out vintage Thanksgiving turkey ads.


One last ebay purchase (12 bucks).  My little precious vintage scarecrow.  His name is Clem, as in Clementine, because his precious little noggin reminds me of the citrus fruit!
I made a bunch of mini haystacks out of pinestraw and filled the green shelf with them.


This small little cutie I have had for a bit.  He came from an estate sale for 50 ¢.  The black pumpkins are from Halloween.


Inside one of our display cabinets I decided to give it a baking/cooking theme.  Everything in here I already had.



🦃In the Dining Room🦃


The sideboard.
I hung our wood oversized eating utensils on the wall since Thanksgiving's focus is a big meal!
I already had this tissue paper turkey named Herman from several years ago.  I got him at a thrift store.  All of the mini pumpkins and fake foliage came from thrift stores.



This is a great piece!  It's a metal template used for newspaper printing from 1965.  I found it at the flea market for 3 bucks last year.


On top of the china cabinet.
A couple of honeycomb pumpkins, fake foliage, and plastic corns.  All from thrift stores over the years.


The dining room table centerpiece.  I found the bakelite lazy susan at a thrift store recently.  The plastic nuts and foliage I have had.  The squirrel salt and pepper shakers were a gift from Mr. Husband.  The little saucer under them is the start of my collecting up cute vintage Fall dishes.  I bought 3 of these at an estate sale for 75 ¢ .  Right now I am using them as coasters.  The table cloth was an estate sale find last year.
Another fun thing I incorporated into the decor was a bunch of my vintage doilies.  I kept a stack of them because they 'spark joy' only they don't work in well with the scheme of our normal decor of MCM. They are granny style though and that works with Thanksgiving decor!

This array into Thanksgiving decorating has really given me something to think about. I do still have a few more ideas for future Fall decor but nothing too exacerbating.
When I think about it in comparison to Halloween and Christmas decorating I shutter.  Those two holidays, while I love the items we have, it is just so overwhelming dealing with them, storing them, packing them, and all the over the top decorating effort I put into it.
The simple decorating I did for Thanksgiving looks perfect and not overwhelming.
I would like to be able to apply this same feel to those holidays.  I am sure I could do simpler decorating but the real answer would be to simplify how many items I have.  I...just...can't...do..it.
I'll have to hope for strength in the new year and revisit that later!
Ironically, for the good part of the month of December I am highlighting all the new Christmas stuff I picked up this year and it's a doozy, lots of fantastic stuff.

In the mean time, I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving and don't choke on any neck bones!

If you are in need of some Thanksgiving leftovers, check out these two past dishes:

Charlie Brown Thanksgiving

Turkey Day with the Clampetts

3 comments:

jungle dream pagoda said...

I absolutely ADORE your TDay decor !!! This was the first time in over ten years I did not TDay decorate !! My best friend was married the weekend prior in St Augustine, and our Ruby came from NYC to help with her little sis. When we got back I had two days to spend with her...soooo...no decor this year. I am so with ya on being overwhelmed with my Halloween..for some reason I get more and more elaborate each year... and Xmas decorating ! ...and the take down, store...put up new season decor.take down...put up again...rinse repeat...just knocked out my gorgeous turkey collection this year!!
I have a Herman too ! I also have this gorgeous vintage native doll collection...that I have recently been so conflicted about putting out . I usually put them in bell canning jars as a winky but serious statement...but...dayumm..
Anyway, Im so glad you are posting again and still wish you would get on Insta...that's my blogging lite replacement.

my house is cuter than yours said...

I say put out your native doll collection and do it how you like to display it. If you aren't intending it to be derogatory then it's not offensive.

Thanks for stopping by again and commenting! I think about doing an Insta but then that would just be another thing for me to have to maintain. I like being able to write long posts along with having lots of pics, how blogger is, but I am an ancient relic I guess!


~mary~

jungle dream pagoda said...

Oh, I probably will set them out next year ! I really missed them (and my turkeys) this year !
Insta now has a feature where you CAN post multiple pics! What I think you would really enjoy...is the feature where you can follow hashtags...like:#vintage thankgiving...etc...
Folks also create their own weekly hastags...and its kind of a party that we can all attend at look at each others cool stuff!
Lookin at other folks stuff is truly the best part of Insta!