Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Snow Day! Let's build some snowmens!


Don't let a lack of white icy mush keep you from building your own snow pal!
❅  ❆  ⛄  ❄  ❅  ❆  ⛄  ❄  ❅


This year I am doing a much bigger Winter~Snowman display (upcoming post!) so I needed a little bit of some extra bits.  I decided to make a few vintage inspired crafty fellows!


First up is this little dumpling.
Inspired by these vintage guys:


I made mine by using 2 styrofoam balls that were the same size.  I cut down the body ball flatish on the neck and 'feet' region, then attach together with strong hot glue.  I then heavily coated his head in school glue.  I filled a large bowl with those hyper staticky mini styofoam balls from 1.25 Tree.  Next you dunk the goopy glue laden snowman in the balls coating his head.  Let dry and this will take days.  Then repeat on his body.  After all has dried for the most part if you find any bare spots just fill them in with more glue and balls.  I made his features from round black push pins from 1.25 Tree.  His hat is a mini solo cup (shot glass size, also from 1.25 Tree) spray painted black.  the brim is cut from a bit of stiff black felt.  Mouth is a bit of sparkly black pipe cleaner hot glued on.  Trim is silver rick rack.

❅  ❆  ⛄  ❄  ❅  ❆  ⛄  ❄  ❅

Next we have this concerned fellow:
He is a classic crafty vintage deal made from a couple of vintage white satin christmas balls, white bump pipe cleaner, bits of black cardstock for his features.  His nose is from a holly berry from a bush I had leftover from making Holly Boy.  His hat is an ornament from walsmart christmas stuff.  This guy is fairly self evident how to construct him, just glue all the bits in the right places!
❅  ❆  ⛄  ❄  ❅  ❆  ⛄  ❄  ❅
I saved the best for last!


Based after this cutie on ebay (nope to 18 bucks + shipping):

I mean come on!  He looks like he is made from something a cat coughed up...and he's wielding a noodle!  LOVE HIM!
How I made him was by painting a pine cone white as seen in the one process photo I took:


Then hot glue a small satin ball ornament on the butt of the pinecone.  Next make him some arms and legs from pipe cleaners and hot glue into place. Then cover the entire cone in either cotton wadding or Angel's Hair (spun glass).  I don't know if they make it anymore.  I have a couple of packs I found at thrift stores over the years.  So I LOVE so many of the wonky things about the original inspiration snowman and one of them is that weird cape-like matted bit around his shoulders.  To make this I tore a bit of a christmas snow blanket into a backwards bolero type shape and fitted it onto him.  I then sponged on some white paint and sprinkled it with silver glitter.  His facial features are card stock eyes, a red ball needle nose and a parentheses sticker mouth.  His hat is comprised from a foam mini pool noodle type finger flinger toy I found at 1.25 tree.  I cut it to the size I wanted and painted it with black acrylic paint, brim is cardstock.
And his noodle staff is a gold painted noodle. 

I have got sooo many more snowmens crafts I want to make!
Peep some for yourself in my Snow Day Pinterest Board.






 

No comments: