Thursday, April 13, 2023

Checkerboard DIY Slip-Ons

My old slip-ons that I made nearly 2 years ago are finally becoming too ick for me to wear.  They still look fine actually, the paint job I did on them still looks great.  The problem is the bottom of the soles have cracked ever so slightly and allow for water to get into the padding of the shoes.  Not a pleasant smell!  

So I had to make a new pair.  I decided to do a different design this time, grey and black checkerboard.
I am so-so on how they turned out.  I wish I would have made the paint a darker shade of grey.  Also there are numerous bleed lines....


 Here is a blurry process photo showing on the left the layout of the resist stickers and on the right after one coat of paint.
I bought the shoes from walsmart again (10 bucks) but the quality from my last pair has been downshifted for sure.  The memory foam pad is paper thin and the back heels of the shoes are a bit rough.

I'll have to do a little research on iron-on vinyl, maybe that would have worked better.  I may even cover the tops with fabric... 
But what will really happen is I'll just wear them and deal with it. 


Update:  I couldn't deal with it! 
 I decided to try out doing a wash made from the black fabric paint diluted with water over all the grey squares to darken them up:


Not perfect but much better!

No comments: