Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Florida Fudgegator


Since Spring Break is upon us (or just past us for some) and all postcards of "Wish You Were Here" are postmarked Florida I thought I would share a couple of our vintage Florida souvenirs this week.
This has got to be one of my favorites, Gallopin' Gus, The Florida Fudgegator!

It reminds me of molded Easter bunnies with the little fabric bowtie with most likely, a royal icing candy eye on the original.

We happened to pick up this souvenir candy box (still with the mold!) from a yard sale of all places.
Of course the "mold" is really just the tray that the candy sat in to keep Gus from breaking his neck during transport but for me it's a mold!
The mold/tray is getting brittle so this will probably be the only fudgeagator that I make.  I made my Gus from green melting candy because a brown gator just doesn't make sense.

This guy is just so cute.  Every time I see him I think of Jackie Gleason  "And away we go!"


1 comment:

Monica and Rob said...

Where have all the cute Florida attractions gone ! I love this! He turned out cute in green!