Monday, November 07, 2022

Hot Fudge Pudding


Betty Crocker's Cook Book for Boys and Girls 1957

Here is a dessert that isn't going to win any beauty contests except at the local county fair.
 I typically like to make recipes that include an image as that's a huge part of the fun for me to recreate how the original looks (or improve it!).  However as I was perusing the book I didn't see any illustrated recipes that either I haven't already made or that didn't looked like a snore.  I decided instead to pick something that had a bit of an interesting way it's made...and that would be Hot Fudge Pudding!
It's just basics like flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, and nuts but it's construction is quite interesting.  It has a bottom layer of batter, then a layer of sprinkled powdered ingredients, and then you dump hot water on top and bake it.  Really weird to me, but I have never made a baked Pudding before, maybe this is as normal as knowing to not feed your dog a can of pork and beans.


Then there is the other surprise when you take it out of the oven.  Somehow the liquidly top flips to the bottom of the dessert and becomes pudding and the top is a rich dense chocolate cake.
It's very intriguing and tastes delicious even if it's not so much to look at!  Maybe that's why it didn't make it into an illustration.  I loaded mine up with whipped topping and nuts to put lipstick on the pig.

 
And if you don't want to take my word for how good this pudding is then listen to Lucy!
 

6 comments:

Jennilee said...

Oh yum, Mary! In the south, that is chocolate cobbler and it is best served with some vanilla ice cream. Delicious!

my house is cuter than yours said...

I have never heard of the term Chocolate Cobbler before! But that makes sense. Thanks for letting me know!
~mary~

Jennilee said...

I bet you've not heard of chocolate gravy either :) Like thick chocolate pudding over hot biscuits...heaven!

my house is cuter than yours said...

I have heard of chocolate gravy, but never had it before. It sounds really good like you said over hot biscuits...yum!

~mary~

Jennilee said...

Oh, Mary! I saw this and immediately thought of you! Not all recipes are included, but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words! https://tech.softonic.com/en/vintage-recipes-horrible-actually-edible?ly=native_one

my house is cuter than yours said...

Oh thanks Jennilee!
I loved it! Did you see the Frankaroni Loaf was on there?! And I was literally eyeing that igloo cake recipe today!!! I have always wanted to make the Meat Train too!!! Ha ha! So me! Thanks for sending it!
~mary~