Thursday, November 24, 2022

Space Turkey

 


I did a abbreviated and last minute theme this year for Thanksgiving.  
It is based after a story that I love for Mr. Husband to tell me every year.  Several decades ago when he was having Thanksgiving dinner with his family his mother wouldn't stop talking...on and on.  Talking at people, not with them.  Posing questions about stuff no one knows or cares about.  Somehow she got on the subject of astronauts and their Thanksgiving when they are off planet.  And again on and on... I imagine it in my head like the girl on the end of the MST3K episode of Manos where the chic (Joel) is talking about her 5 year plan and loosing 5 pounds of butter... Everyone around the table has about had it,  Then she asks "I wonder what they eat on the space ship for Thanksgiving?"  Mr. Husband's dad had had enough and bursts out "God Damn Space Turkey!!!"  Ya'll I'm chuckling as I am typing this.  I will laugh every single time.

So, that's the theme I have been wanting to do for the past several years but haven't been able to get all the pieces sourced.  I decided to just see what I could pull together in 24 hours.


I printed out some stuff on a regular printer.  I made the poster by printing two pages, tiled, and matched the seam.  There's pipe cleaners, glitter, star confetti, and some little space men from PB's toys when he was 4 years old.



I also thought I would kinda address what the astronauts might eat on Thanksgiving as a little pre-meal appetizer.  I browsed around 1.25 tree and found the whole meal...freeze dried (kinda) style!


From left to right: Cranberries (craisins), green beans (shaped crisps), Turkey (jerky), and mashed potatoes!


And Tang (the official drink of astronauts) for a beverage.  Dessert is Pumpkin Pie (baking morsels).

Here are some of the bags for what items I used.  The Tang isn't actually Tang as you can tell by the color.  The store was out so I used Orange Crush powdered drink mix.

It was a quickly tossed together kinda thing but it's fun.  
Hope you all enjoy your damn space turkey today!






2 comments:

Jennilee said...

Too funny! Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Thanks Jennilee! You and yours as well!
~mary~